List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: multi-column text in presentations
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-06-22 16:38:57

On 22 June 2010 18:10, Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 22. June 2010 17.45.00 Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>> At least user profile "office user of heavy multipage, word processing
>> with TOCs, tables, indices and sections" is what many of us office
>> creatures here are accustomed with. No idea about profile(s) that
>> overlap with your typical usage.
>> []
>> For such profile, many of the must have features noted down on the
>> wiki are really must have.
>
> What makes me confused is that there should then be a lot of other features
> there too. List lists actually loading/saving. Spellchecking etc.

Sure.

> If people that fall under that catagory would use KWord for instance for real
> work for a couple of days they would have such a huge list of missing
> functionality you would soon realize its a goal thats too high. It would take
> various man-years to get there.

Yes, so the koffice-as-a-viewer goal seems to be easier to reach, as
well as koffice-as-converter, perhaps for cloud computing.
Of course this is just a note, and cannot block efforts related to editing.

> So I don't disagree that for the profile you wrote above those issues needed
> and must have.
> My list is shorter and different because I focus on a user that is less needy,
> and just about all the issues that user would bring up would also be on the
> list of your profile.
>
> So thanks for explaining the methodology used for getting the list you guys
> have, its valuable to know the process :)

Good. One easy thing that comes to my mind are user profiles that
accept the feature-richness of Kids Office (or Grandma Office).
Another one is having, say, KWord used as a rich text entry box
component in 3rd party apps. Maybe also in Qt-only apps. This nicely
overlaps with the koffice-as-a-component-for-mobile-solutions a lot.
We can be good in these areas and hard to beat.

What's hard to define for me is an intermediate level of feature
richness (more than Kids Office, less than oo.org). It would be good
to know example user profile(s) for that.
Unfortunately each usage has different set of features needed, which
my be the reason why even as mature products as oo.org are being
criticized (often for a lack of single little known feature that the
MSO offers).

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek