List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Building wv2 and koffice from trunk
From:       Inge Wallin <ingwa () kogmbh ! com>
Date:       2009-09-18 11:59:56

I wrote some instructions for how to build the wv2 libraries in another
context, and somebody asked on IRC, so I thought that I'd resend them here.
Enjoy!

	-Inge

The KOffice word import filter uses an external library called wv2 that parses
the MS Office word formats. This library contains not yet released features that
are used by the KOffice current filter. You can not get
these new features from any package that you get from Ubuntu or any other
Linux distribution.  There will be a new release of wv2 before the release of
KOffice 2.1, though.

You can get the latest source code to the wv2 library like this:

  svn co https://wvware.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wvware/wv2-trunk

To build and install it, see the file INSTALL inside the sources.  The default
installation target is /usr/local.  You can test your installation by typing
this command:

  wv2-config --prefix  or wv2-config --version

Note that you should uninstall all wv2 packages in your system because
otherwise the koffice configuration scripts may find the wrong version.

When KOffice is built, it will report if it found the wv2 libraries and if it's
a sufficiently late version to be used.  You can see what it found in the
CMakeCache.txt file in the build library.

To test if you can convert a file with the KOffice .doc filter, you can use the
following command:

  koconverter <filename>.doc <filename>.odt

where "<filename>" should be the real name of the file, of course.

If koconverter crashes or says that it can't run the filter, then the problem
may be that the wv2 libraries are not found by the linker.  I had that problem
on my Linux (Fedora 10).  You can test this like this:

  ldd <path-to-koffice>/lib/kde4/libmswordodf_import.so

If it says "not found" for the wv2 library, then this is the problem.

If so, you should add the path to the library to the ldconfig cache.  As root
(or using sudo on (K)Ubuntu), do the following: Add a file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d
with the name (for instance) usr-local.conf, and containing the following:

  /usr/local/lib

Then run:

  ldconfig /usr/local

and things should be working again.  Test that the library is found with ldd
again.

	-Inge