List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Page variable support for kopageapp
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-09-17 21:13:40

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 17. September 2009 21.44.41 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> > Its a universal design concept. Model view shows this too.
> > If I put a string in a model the exact same string will be shown in a
> > tree or in a list view. Maybe the way its shown is slightly different
> > (different font, only the first 20 characters) but the actual content
> > is always the same.
> > So if you have a different point of view, then I'm afraid you have the
> >  burden of proof here as you disagree with the core concept of MVC. And
> > one thing you will have to prove is that its not expensive to do what
> > you want. You say "no extra code at all". Which is not true. Its only
> > no extra code for KPresenter. But instead you add extra code for each
> > and every shape that you want to have showing different. And the amount
> > of plugins is infinite.
>
> Even the proxy shape you introduced for kword uses the same model and
> sets a different page for a short period so that is not different to what
> is done by this patch.

There is an essential difference thats quite important here. It is
essentially a different shape with its own properties and position. It just
steals the content from another shape.

If I want to show a vector shape but in a different location, or with an
effect or with a rotation then you can not have the same shape twice. A shape
can not have two positions or two rotations. Just like the same shape can't
have two contents.
When the application wants to show a similar-but-different shape it can do so
by creating a proxy shape. This will work for all shapes without any code in
the shape.

Very consistent, with no extra code in a shape plugin.

Again, reasoning from the perspective that we have only a small amount of
applications and a lot shapes and hopefully many 3rd party ones too.
Moving the complexity to the application, out of the shapes, is the only
sane thing to do.
--
Thomas Zander