List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Page variable support for kopageapp
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-09-17 10:44:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 17. September 2009 12.15.00 C. Boemann wrote:
> > thing you will have to prove is that its not expensive to do what you
> > want. You say "no extra code at all". Which is not true. Its only no
> > extra code for KPresenter. But instead you add extra code for each and
> > every shape that you want to have showing different. And the amount of
> > plugins is infinite.
>
> Well the patch doesn't break that principle as i see it anymore than
> looping as you suggest. If you view the contents as having a variable
> rather than absolute text, then nothing is changed That is kind of what a
> variable means.

The 'looping' is indeed very similar, the application passes a page object
to the shape so it knows where its being displayed.

The point really is that Thorsten says having one shape instance showing at
the same time on two slides (two views, for example) should allow them to
look different.

Thats like saying you want the same QString x = QString("%1").arg(myInt) to
give a different 'x' while being used at the same time.
Naturally this implies that you do the string replacement each and every
time the 'x' is used either on screen or anywhere else.
Imagine having a QLabel and overriding the paint method to replace the
actual text with the above "%1" string instead of just setting the resulting
text for this label.

I'm arguing that insisting on changing the text on paint instead of making a
copy is the reason KPresenter needs a new public API. Since the 'copy'
concept (called proxy shape) already is in use and works just fine and will
work just fine for KPresenter.
--
Thomas Zander