List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: "Align to grid" in office applications [was: Guides Insertor
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-09-16 6:51:58

On Tuesday 15. September 2009 23.32.21 Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> > I don't agree with changing the default, its fine that you turn it on
> > with your first use if thats how you work.
>
> Hmm, This is ridiculously strange that your expectations differ in
> this area,

I have worked with pre-press and creative people for some 10 years. The
snap-to-grid feature has always been off for all but one of them.
You may find it strange that these expectations differ from yours, thats fine.
People are different, and there is even a usability rule for that "you are
not your user".

If you play with the 3 tool-dockers from the default tool you will see we
have made adequate tools to allow proper positioning. People can type
coordinates directly to make them 'on grid'. People can align them to other
objects, people can snap them to other objects and last, people can still
turn on snap-to-grid in the view menu very easily. Its not like our view
menu is very long.

I am convinced that KOffice will be great for the usecases you have in mind.
--
Thomas Zander