List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Koffice sprint -- call for decision
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2009-09-12 18:25:17

Hi,

It's time to decide. Sorry for not replying to Jos email this wednesday, I
wanted to talk with Alexandra first since she has kindly offered to organize
the sprint -- with as much help from others as possible.  I have now done
that.

Anyway, it seems from Thomas mail and from information that I got from
Alexandra that the weekend 21-22 of november is out of the question. This is
because that weekend is the troll's yearly christmas smörgåsboard.  Anybody
who has any insight in Scandinavian traditions immediately understands that
the participants will not be in working order again until late sunday. :-)

So my suggestion instead is the weekend before, the 14th-15th.  This also ties
nicely into the other big question for the sprint.

We have had an extensive discussion on whether the sprint should focus on
usability or API design and freeze.  I think both sides have had good
arguments, and the voices for one or the other side are almost tied.

However, there is a difference between the two activities.  I think that the
API design would suffer if the whole of the KOffice community got involved.  I
think that these things are much better handled by a small, dedicated and
competent team than by a big bunch of opinionated people.  Why don't we assign
a team of, say, 5 people to take care of the API design?  That would also fit
better with a shared API review with some people from TrollTech. Usability, on
the other hand, would benefit if more people got involved.

So my suggestion is that we do invite Celèste to the sprint, make user
interface design the theme and let the API task force (sounds nice, he?) do
their job in a more concentrated setting. (I say "they" because I will not be
part of it.)

I don't think that the e.V will protest if send a smaller group to Oslo a
second time, that won't cost very much in relation to the benefits. Another
alternative is to have the API design meeting either the day(s) before or the
day(s) after the full sprint.

So,  two questions to decide on:

1. Is the 14-15th a good weekend?  http://doodle.com/r5sbuspzrdwp8neg seems to
indicate so.

2. Would it make sense to you to have interface design as the theme for the
meeting and the API review with a smaller group or do you prefer to do the API
design in a bigger group at the sprint? Please reread the thread with subject
"KOffice 2.2, usability and the Q4 sprint" to refresh the arguments in your
mind.

Vote wisely :-)

	-Inge