List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice mission statement etc.
From:       Jaroslaw S <kexipl () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-09-01 15:59:10

2009/9/1 Andrew Dorrell <andrew.dorrell@gmail.com>:
> And to develop some of your specific comments... (day time now)
>
> On Monday 31 August 2009 5:22:22 pm Jos van den Oever wrote:
>> > 1.  To produce a comprehensive and integrated suit of tools for open
>> > document production that fix rather than emulate the presentation and
>> > usability mistakes of popular commercial software.
>>
>> 'comprehensive': this means it should include everything required. But what
>> is that? This is stating the obvious.
>
> It is not really obvious IMHO.  koffice includes in its scope drawing, image
> creation, database, project management.  This makes it far more comprehensive
> than openoffice or MS office (outside of windows context) which aim mainly at
> the big 3: word processor, spreadsheet and presentation.

I can see no difference between scope of the two offices.
The difference in users volume is natural to particular type of app,
i.e. the big three on top, then diagramming, database  and project
management, etc.

All these components are present in both suites (vector drawing app is
just embedded in Word), but of course we have far fewer features so
far than MSO. At least I am comparing features I know and have been
using a lot.
Also cross-application integration is pretty good in both suites; the
difference is that we have less of the lock-in factor.

We have more components than oo.org but starting constructing the
mission statement by blaming other FOSS projects is not the best way
IMHO. I'd welcom anything that sounds more positive and shows our
inclusive attitude.

So that's why I "comprehensive" was never my favourite description of
the differentiator. Not yet...

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 Kexi & KOffice (http://www.kexi-project.org, http://www.koffice.org)