List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: first text
From:       Andrew Dorrell <andrew.dorrell () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-03 11:58:17

Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Monday 02 March 2009, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > > HDR... "all kinds of colour spaces"... if that is interesting to you
> > > then you want some specifics.
> The list of all colorspaces is rather long :) Not sure if it's of
> interest to the visual tour. Would probably belong to a feature list
> on Krita's home page.
>

> > > What precision is used for processing;
> > > what colour spaces are supported; how (and how well) is colour
> > > management (CMS) integrated into the work-flow.
> Krita works (or attempt to) in the native precision of the color
> space. So if you have a 16bits half image, most computation are done
> using 16bits floats (actually, for things like convolution, we a
> higher precision for conversion).
Has anything changed from this:
http://docs.kde.org/development/en/koffice/krita/introduction-keyfeatures.html#introduction-keyfeatures-colormanagement
 ?
> > > Can I work on AdobeRGB or other wide gamut colour spaces?
> So yes you can.

OK this this is important to write aout because the existing
documentation doesn't mention it
http://docs.kde.org/development/en/koffice/krita/settings.html#settings-preferences-colormanagement
 http://docs.kde.org/development/en/koffice/krita/colorspaces-list.html#colorspaces-list-rgb
etc.

> Now I said "attempt to" and "most", because while the core of Krita
> and pigment makes no assumption on the precision, not all color spaces
> are complete, it's especially true for HDR color spaces, which mostly
> lack support of curves operations (and probably less interesting,
> "invert")

Curves are still very interesting for HDR spaces.  But that might be
another discussion... is this just TODO?

> In one sentence: CMS means that the color looks identical, from your
> camera, scanner, on your screen and on your printer, provided that you
> have calibrated each device, and provided Krita with this calibration.
Ideally :-)