List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC 2009 proposal, looking for mentor
From:       Sven Langkamp <sven.langkamp () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-27 0:51:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Andrew Dorrell
<andrew.dorrell@gmail.com>wrote:

> LukasT.dev@gmail.com wrote:
> >> I'd like to put in a vote for the diffusion curves.  That stuff is very
> >> cool and looks very powerful for content creation.  Also it is nice and
> >> modular (self contained project).  But I would contact the authors first
> >> to clarrify their position WRT intellectual property.  I.e. Have they,
> >> or are they planning to patent this work and how will they view a GPLv3
> >> release of their work.
> >>
> > I already mailed long time ago with one of the authors of curves and the
> > author showed some joy over the fact, that somebody wants to implement in
> > open-source project. No problems with patent I think.
> >

> That's fantastic to know.  BTW I think it could fit in both karbon14 and
> krita but in krita it would be used as a kind of brush so that, when you
> had finished using the tool it rendered to pixels and that was that.  In
> karbon14 it makes sense to retain the curve definition and re-generate
> as required - retaining full scalability.
>
> I must get to know these apps a little better!

Well the main reason against doing it in Karbon is, that  it can't be saved
to standard vector graphics formats. So it would have to be a non-standard
extension which other apps like inkscape can't open.
Of course you could rasterize it to an image.

Even in Krita you could retain the curve definition. Like we currently do
with shape layers the curve data could be stored and the gradient be
regenerated when needed.