List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Bugs in OOo and compatibility issues
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2009-02-25 9:27:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wednesday 25 February 2009, Alexandra Leisse wrote:
> > In this case, I think always always save valid ODF. I think that
> > regular users minds works like:
> >
> > Save in KOffice -> Load in OOo -> Fail -> OOo's fault
> > Save in OOo -> Load in KOffice -> Fail -> KOffice's fault
>
> I'm a bit careful about that. OOo is perceived as an alternative to MS
> Office and I'm afraid that users that are not so much into technical
> details (yes, they do exist) will blame KO for all failures - be it
> fair or not. For that matter you should try as much as possible to
> ensure that the document stays useable in both apps. I'm not aiming
> for perfect but a complete fail would be rather nasty.
Users will definitively consider any kind of failure to be KO faults, almost
everybody consider OOo to be the reference implementation of ODF. But yet I do
think that koffice should produce valid ODF files, and we should put pressure OOo
to fix their loading/saving code, and document those issues in our website and
PR material. Accepting to save crappy stuff will turn ODF in a giant mess like
HTML and OOXML.

--
Cyrille Berger