List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Bugs in OOo and compatibility issues
From:       Elvis Stansvik <elvstone () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-25 8:53:27

2009/2/25 Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org>:
> On Tuesday 24. February 2009 20:17:57 jaham@gmx.net wrote:
>> My opinion is that we should stick to the spec and not copy buggy
>> behaviour of   OOo.  I mean we are implementing odf support and not copy
>> an application. That is probably more painful at the moment, but better
>> for the longterm future.
>
> There is a old adage for writing loading/saving code;
> "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send".
>
> This still holds; if we can make the actually existing ODP files readable
> and showing in KPresenter without loosing more than time, then we should.
> Just because, well, OOo is the only app that creates .odp files right now.
>
> So for Thorsten; do you have a problem with a good fix going into KOffice,
> or do you just not have the time to do it yourself?
> If you don't have time, please leave the bugreport open as a high priority
> bug.

+1

There's a lot of content out there saved with this bug I'm sure, and
handling it well is not so much saying it's okay for OOo to be
non-conformant to spec as it is about supporting users sitting on that
content.
In this case, I think always always save valid ODF. I think that
regular users minds works like:

Save in KOffice -> Load in OOo -> Fail -> OOo's fault
Save in OOo -> Load in KOffice -> Fail -> KOffice's fault

That is, I think that when they encounter problems, they will blame
the application they're currently using.

So yea, the adage Thomas brings up I think holds very well, both from
a technical and user point of view.

Of course it's very important to document any deviations from the spec
in loading, and to isolate it as much as possible in code, using
strategies or other measures, and also to not give up on trying to
have a dialog with the OOo people.

Elvis