List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC 2009 proposal, looking for mentor
From:       Sven Langkamp <sven.langkamp () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-24 19:35:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:04 PM, LukasT.dev@gmail.com
<lukast.dev@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I would like to make GSoC 2009 proposal one more time as student for
> KOffice
> with focus on Krita or Karbon. I already did GSoC 2008 successfully with
> with
> really great mentor boud for Krita. I gathered some experiences with Krita,
> contributed after GSoC also. My goal is to use this experiences to make
> really
> cool project with nice results.
>
> As you may know, there will be less proposals accepted in Google compared
> year 2008. I would like to focus myself on stuff that are really important
> for
> KOffice, so I would like to discuss my list of ideas with you so that I can
> focus on few proposals and apply with them. I'm looking for advices what is
> really important.
>
> I'm also looking for mentor. I talked with boud and Cyrille and they both
> seems to not to mentor this year. So who is going to mentor for KOffice?
>
> I already made some cuts (with boud and Cyrille) before contacting list.
>
> I sorted the ideas according my preferences and they contains comments from
> Cyrille sometimes:
>
> 1. 3D model of brush
>
> Paintops are sometimes also modelled as 3D device. I gathered some
> experiences with 3D last semester and I would managed to do some 3D
> model.
>
> I already gathered some publications about various brushes (even 3D)
> and Baxter work also contains useful informations too.
> http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=User:LukasT
> I also received some GPL2 code from a student who did 3D brush as
> thesis and it is waiting to be ported to Krita
>
> Excepted results: paintop that is based on 3D model and has stronger
> physical attributes than current brush engines. Bidirectional painting
> support.
>
> Something like this in short http://youtube.com/watch?v=W4suJCMdnsU
>  and this http://youtube.com/watch?v=CNfAXjRQkr0
>
> boud and Cyrille: +1

+ 1 from me too :)

2. Diffusion curves
> http://artis.imag.fr/Publications/2008/OBWBTS08/
> I already emailed authors:
> Main problems:
> * solving a Poisson equation AFTER rasterization.
> This implies that:
> 1) The rasterization is not a classical one, so you wouldn't be able to
> represent the images in classical vector formats like PostScript, for
> example.
> 2) The heat diffusion is quite slow when solving it on the CPU, so we used
> the GPU. But this restricts the use of Diffusion Curves to people who
> have good GPUs.
> 3) We can solve Poisson equation on big images, but not on infinite ones.
>
> Excepted results: New tool - diffusional curves in Krita/Karbon or
> both (don't know about possibilities of sharing this tool)
>
> Cyrille added:
> Deffinitively for Karbon, and also very cool. The point 2) isn't really a
> problem, if you use the correct programmation language, I invite you to
> look
> at OpenCL for this, it should be available in Nvidia and ATI proprietary
> drivers, shortly. And it will come as open source in the next two or three
> years. The advantage of OpenCL is tht it can run on GPU or CPU.

I think this is for Krita. The main problem for Karbon would be that SVG
doesn't support this (yet).
While this really should use OpenCL I have my doubts that OpenCL will be
ready before the gsoc starts

Other than that I think it would be very cool project and I would love to
see it in Krita.

> 3. Advanced interpolation
> There is need for good scaling algorithm for images in Krita and maybe
> in other apps too. Lately I found this discussion interesting
> https://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2009-January/021512.htm
>
> Basically it talks about various improved scaling and interpolating
> algorithms. So the aim of this project would be to do some kind off
> research and implement as much as possible many advanced interpolating
> algorithms so
> that we can compere.
>
> Excepted result: better scaling possibilities of graphics data in KOffice,
>
> 4. Support for animation
> This would be quite hard. Make 2D renderer. MNG or own file format for
> saving, export every frame as [PUT FILEFORMAT HERE]
> I had idea in which every layer is a scene and for start few things
> could be animated:
> * Basic motion
> * Filters and it's values for the whole layer
> * Paintops and their movements
> * Geometric transformations +Warping
> I would propose some kind of system that Blender uses and in Blender
> it is call IPO curves.
> I don't know if this would be for Krita or Karbon.
>
> Inspiration: Blender, http://www.les-stooges.org/pascal/pencil/ ,Gimp
> Animation Pack GAP,
>
> Excepted results: Timeline, animate able KisObjects, animation support
> for filters and import/export filters for it. It should not just flip
> layers.
>
> Cyrille:
> While I love that idea, and would like to see it happening in the future
> (possibely with the upcoming Qt's animation framework), including animated
> svg, I fear this is too huge for a google summer of code project.

Making movies would be pretty cool. MNG never really took off and with html
5 coming we will see open source web video in the future.
I would prefer if we had a common infrastructure for Karbon and Krita here,
but as Cyrille already said it will be a lot of work just to get the
infrastructure and will also need new guis.

> What do you think? What would you like to prefer to see in Krita/Karbon?

 All four projects would be amazing. Unfortunately we can't clone you four
times ;), so we have to decide. I for myself would prefer the first and the
second project.