List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: gSoC ideas?
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-03-08 22:53:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 08 March 2007 23:20, Marijn Kruisselbrink wrote:
> Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > just post it here, so that either someone interested in mentoring pops
> > up, or (and ?) we will be able to comment and help you improve your
> > proposal.
>
> Okay, well basically my idea is to add basic music notation capabilities
> to koffice. I often could have used a decent office suite with good
> integration to a music notation program like. I realize it would
> probably not be feasible to write a full-fledged music notation program
> in the time frame of the SoC, but for example play-back capabilities
> would not make much sense in an office suite, so I'd focus primary on
> the simple note editing side of things. I guess there would be much
> overlap between KWord and this music notation program, which would
> hopefully reduce the necessary code quite a bit, and thus make it
> feasible to have at least basic music notation capabilities in kword
> (perhaps all that would be needed to make this work is write some custom
> flake?). Perhaps I could also borrow some code from NoteEdit/Canorus or
> even from Rosegarden.
>
> So what do you think, would this make an interesting gSoC project?

I think it does, and its very reasonable to create and complete (within the
SoC timeframe):
* a way to show and print music in all koffice apps.  Probably includes
writing some Qt code using QPainter to actually draw the notes and the rest.
Which you'll find out takes some time, but is not too hard.
* a way to edit this music notation with specialized code to create your own
perfect interaction method. Again, for all koffice apps.
* To load/save this in ODF files. Probably using a koffice-specific
file-format for your xml-tags.

I'd say that your guess to do this as a flake-shape is dead on.

So, yes, I'd love to see your proposal.
Do note that you can submit your proposal to the kde-wide project where a lot
of people will read the request for a mentor and can respond.

Sterkte!
--
Thomas Zander