List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Screenshot plugin for KOffice
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () calcifer ! valdyas ! org>
Date:       2004-06-10 17:59:34

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Thomas Zander wrote:

> Yes, it takes more work for the user.

Which is something I prefer to avoid.

> No it does not take more thought.  Its all about what you are used to.

Well... It does take more thought, because it is not consistent with
the rest of KOffice either, to open a separate app, and d&d the contents
into your document. KWord's or KPresenter's insert menu is pretty full,
and besides, the other plugin, scan, works the same way.

> If the user can drag and drop just about any image from any application
> into a koffice application I'm sure he will do things you did not even
> think were possible.

I don't dispute that any KOffice application that is able to show images
should accept image drops; I don't like the idea of making that the preferred
route for screenshots.

> Starting the ksnapshot application from the tools menu, plus having some
> way to tweak the UI of ksnapshot fits perfectly into that concept.

I like David's idea of extending ksnapshot with startup params, and calling
that from a plugin that checks whether the binary is available -- that way
it's nice, separate code, no duplication, and perhaps usable from other apps,
like Kolourpaint. I don't like pointing people to d&d -- frankly, I don't like
it myself. The primary reason I did this was so I could make screenshots of
Krita and scale them with Krita for the Krita gallery :-).

Anyway -- that's my plan. I'll put the plugin temporarily in Krita's plugins
dir, and put the unifying on my todo.

> The fact that many Windows applications do it like that indeed has this

And the Gimp, too.

> KDesktop can snapshot (just press Ctrl-printscrn and then Ctrl-V).

I didn't know that either... KDE is so big, it keep surprising me.