List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: kOffice won't work - MIME problems
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2000-11-02 6:07:30

Andrew Patterson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've tried (in vain) to get kOffice up and running on
> my newly installed KDE2 system. It compiled (no rpms for
> RH6.2 :( ) and installed without complaint
> (in /usr/local/koffice). I've setup KDEHOME, KDEDIR &
> KDEDIRS to all point to the right place. But regardless
> of the kOffice app I fire up, I get the same error:
>
> koffice (lib kofficecore): WARNING: Office/kword.desktop: no
> X-KDE-NativeMimeType entry!
> koffice (lib kofficecore): ERROR: Couldn't find the native
> MimeType in kword's desktop file. Check your installation !
>
> Of likely interest: the install didn't put *anything* in my
> KDEHOME directory that I could determine; it took me a while
> to decipher exactly what it was complaining about when it
> said it couldn't find it's "desktop file". I copied the
> desktop files and most other things I could find from
> .../koffice/share/ into my home directory, but thigns still
> ain't working.
>
> I've also trolled the archives where I found some similar
> posts to mine but the solutions (using kbuildsycoca with
> and/or without --incremental) didn't do anything for me.
>
> Any help _greatly_ appreciated!
>
> Wood Shavings!
>   - Andrew

I though this was now fixed and that the mime types are now
automatically installed and ksycoca is updated when you install a
koffice app or any other that has mime types assigned to it .  It wasn't
working a few weeks ago.

If you have problems, try manually deleting your

           ~/.kde/share/config/ksycoca

file and then reinstalling the koffice app.  Then start kde again.
ksococa will be automatically rebuilt when you restart kde and the mime
time should be registerd.  There is a command or script that will also
do this but I don't know what it is.  Manual deletion worked for me a
few weeks ago when koffice apps which were installed later didn't take.
If a koffice app can't find its native mime type, the library (part)
never gets loaded and the app won't start. However, this should be fixed
in 2.0 and recent cvs.