List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Close, Quit, and multiple Views
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-05-06 19:50:29

On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 09:44:45PM +0200, Werner Trobin wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 08:04:30PM +0200, Werner Trobin wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Now that we have our multiple views back (thanks to David)
> > > I realized, that the current Close/Quit situation is
> > > awkward.
> > >
> > > Open an app (e.g. kword) and write something. Then create a new
> > > document (same app!) and create an additional view for this
> > > (second) document.
> > > Now select Close. The additional view vanishes as one would
> > > expect. However, if you would have selected Quit, the same would
> > > have had happened.
> >
> > Sure ? If yes that's a bug. Quit should close the window only.
>
> Well... IMHO it should be that way...
> Quit ... Close all Views of a Document
> Close ... Close one View of a Document

Well, if you really want to argue with the style guide...
talk to kde-look and/or Waldo. I'm fine with the current decision.

File/Close is the opposite of File/Open : it means closing
the file, i.e. the document.

File/Quit closes the window since it quits what the user sees,
i.e. the application. I think that removing File/Quit (like in konqueror)
would be fine too.

> If the last window gets closed (either by Close or Quit) the app
> exits :)
Sure.

> > > IMO the Document (and not just the view :) should be closed.
> > By File/Close, yes. Not by File/Quit.
>
> File/Close did close just one view - like File/Quit did :)

Ok, I'll have a look at File/Close...

> > > This doesn't mean that the app is closed, though!
> > > The first document should remain open.
> > >
> > > What Do you all think? What does the StyleGuide suggest?
> >
> > File/Close = close current document (i.e. both views here)
> > File/Quit = close current window (the style guide calls that "application")
>
> Hehe... quite the opposite, heh? Either way, there has to be a
> difference between them :)

Yup :)

http://home.clara.net/faure/