List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Negative review of koffice..
From:       Donovan Rebbechi <elflord () panix ! com>
Date:       2000-04-18 20:03:35

> > to addressing the fact that UNIX cannot do "WYSIWYG typography", while the
> > GNOME camp not only have thought about it, but are actually doing
> > something.
>
> And why don't YOU do anything about it then? Just complaining doesn't help
> either.

I have. I have contributed some ghostscript fontmap files to make it easy
to set up fonts with KDE, added a section on  using fonts with Koffice to
my font HOWTO, and added some info to the Koffice FAQ. I am doing what I
can.

As for solving these typography problems, it doesn't really help if I go
and write a font database if noone uses it. The problem is not that noone
has solved the problem ( Applixware and Star Office both have solutions ),
the problem is that everyone seems to want to do it their own way, and I
am not influential enough to get everyone together to agree on a standard.

BTW, I've been learning QT. Nice toolkit. As soon as I have some code
worth sharing, I'll share it.

--
Donovan