List:       koffice
Subject:    AbiWord filters (was: Re: Importing/exporting MS-Word docs)
From:       Case Roole <cjr () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       1999-03-26 14:54:18

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Eijk, M. van wrote:
>Having seen KOffice on the Internet I like it very much, but working in an
>all Windows desktop environment I wonder if it's possible or will be
>possible to import from and export to MS-Word format with KWord. I am
>considering to replace my Windows NT Desktop for Linux with KDE.
>I'm also using MS-Mail. Is it or will it be possible to receive and send
>"MS-Mail" with KDE.

I have looked at AbiWord and they have used mswordview to produce an import
filter for Word 8 documents. I guess this is also the way to go for KWord.

Generally, it seems like a good idea to me to design filters so that they can
be easily modified for other applications. Better to have shared code
for the never-ending pain of data conversions. (Sorry, I write no C or C++,
but I do have a partial KWord->HTML filter written in java with IBM's XML4j.)

-cjr