List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: RTL documents in Koffice
From:       Dotan Cohen <dotancohen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-09-22 16:30:29

2009/9/22 Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org>:
> On Saturday 19. September 2009 21.07.28 ext Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> > That sounds like a bug somewhere; RTL docs I have open just fine in
>> > kword.
>>
>> I assume that these are documents originally created in Kword? Upon
>> testing, I see that those display fine, it is OOo documents that are
>> problematic.
>
> After some research I found out the following;
> * KWord didn't implement text direction for master pages. I added that. Will
> commit shortly.
>
> * OOo saves documents incorrectly.  The text direction is saved correctly, the
> alignment of the text is not. So you'll see that paragraphs are right aligned
> in OOo and left in any other ODF app.
> The bug is that OOo seems to unconditionally say that right-align equals 'end'
> alignment. Which is not true for RTL paragraphs.[1]
>
> So I'm not sure how to handle that.  I think we have to follow the ODF spec
> and optionally add a hack when we know we are loading OOo files to correct
> their files.  But that gets really dirty if they fix it in the future.
>
> *sigh*
>

> 1) XSL says;
> end: Specifies that the content is to be aligned on the end-edge in the inline-
> progression-direction.

Thanks, Thomas. I will try to test in Abiword and other ODF-compatible
systems and update the OOo, KDE, and other bugs (that may have yet to
be filed) as needed.

One of the problems here is the apparant lack of a reference
implementation. Even a reference RTL ODF document I cannot find.
Should I contact OASIS directly to obtain such a document?

Thank you for taking this issue seriously.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il