List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: pantone color
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-02 15:36:46

On Thu, 2 May 2002 17:10:07 +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:

>I have to disagree here; the photo editing application knows just about the
>CMYK colors and converting them to and from RGB.
>The steps you describe are done later in the process.

Yes, partly this occurred to me later as well (although I have an
extremely hazy idea of the programming side of this anyway).

>Here is a short summery;
>* splitting the CMYK into seperate channels; either the paint program, or the
>print software. but that is a breeze since its just simple data manipulation.
>* The dots and their distribution as you say. This is the screening process
>and is printer dependent. This is done by a RIP or another special machine.

Values for lpi, dpi, halftone type, and even dot patterns can be set in
(at least some) bigger layout programs which also try to bypass the
system drivers as much as possible and write their own PS. But since
the RIP (at least high end RIPs) may again overwrite many of these
settings I'm really also pretty hazy about which part of the machinery
is exactly doing what in the end. I'm just happy if it looks okay. ;-)

But, as you say, all this is not really necessary for a basic
implementation anyway.

>Bottom line; Krita should know about 4 channel images and should be able to
>convert to and from RGB.
>
>Optional are ICC profiles for color management.  The basis of this is simple,
>the implications of using ICC profiles is huge. And wonderful :)

Have you looked at http://www.littlecms.com/ ? Would be very interested
to know if this could be usable for KDE/KOffice sometime / somehow.

Regards,

Thomas

---
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/