List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Kmail to use Knode message classes and proposed schedule for Knode/Kmail merge
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-08-10 19:35:28

> On Friday 10 August 2001 22:20, Marc Mutz wrote:
> > I see 5 as essential. The next version of Kmail should
> > really, really support rfc2015. We are laughed at for
> > this from the gnupg guys, believe me.
>
> I agree in the long run 5 is highly desirable.

Ooops I forgot I was meaning to say..

I noticed there is a KMail RFC 2015 support package linked
to from kmail.kde.org

http://www.david-guembel.de/kmail-gpg.html

Of course 'native' KMail support would be preferable.

BTW in the long run we should think about:

* Assisting and encouraging users to create an encryption
key pair and uploading the public key to a keyserver.

* Work on some kind of protocol for automatically
negotiating the transfer of public keys.

And in the longer term:

* Default to signing all outgoing messages (reduce the risk
of mail forgery).

* Default to encrypting all outgoing messages that are
being sent to a recipient whose public key the user has.
(maximize the amount of internet traffic between
individuals that is encrypted).

* Have the UI draw attention to (ie mark/highlight) mails
that are either unsigned or unencrypted (rather than
vice-versa which is the status quo).

Don.