List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Charset support in KMail
From:       Tomas Furmonavicius <f1926 () kaunas ! aiva ! lt>
Date:       2000-09-25 13:54:40

Hi,

First I want to thank all the developers of KMail - it looks great !
But there's still one major problem - charset support.

I tried a charset patch made by Denis yesterday. It's a step forward,
but not enough to make kmail really usable in non latin-1 environment.

For example, here in Lithuania there are several "standard" charsets:
iso-8859-4 which is considered obsolete but still widely used, the new
standard iso-8859-13, charset for Windows* windows-1257, which is almost
compatible with iso-8859-13, and utf-8. Everybody can understand that it's
complete mess. As most e-mail clients has no or only rudimental support
for non latin-1 charsets (maybe except mutt) and every e-mail user uses
different charset, many users prefer to "lisp" in their e-mails.

I think that it's not enough to set desired charset when composing the
mail. When replaying (forwarding etc.) kmail should recode quoted text
from original charset to desired (or default) charset. Now, if I get utf-8
encoded email, KMail displays it perfectly (great job !), but if I want to
compose answer to such letter in iso-8859-13, original utf-8 encoded text
is quoted without conversion - it means that instead single lithuanian
character I get a few meaningless characters. The same applies to other
charsets.

AFAIK Qt has good support for various charsets, so I hope such conversions
are possible (even for KDE 2.0), and KMail will be Yet Another Killer App
from KDE Project :-)

Tomas