List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Custom templates
From:       Jonathan Marten <jjm () keelhaul ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2006-10-30 16:26:12

Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach@wp.pl> writes:

> Hello,
> I like new Custom templates, it is more flexible than per folder system.

Hello Mikolaj,

Many thanks for your observations on the template facility: these are
my thoughts.  Written from my own point of view, regarding the
template folder system which is - rather confusingly - similarly named
to Dmitry's facility which is for custom formatting of new messages
and replies.  I'm sure he will have some observations too...

> 1.
> Probably templates folder isn't necessary, but it would be good to keep
> feature "Save as template" - just instead of saving it into templates
> folder put it into Custom templates.

There is some duplication here I will agree, but the two facilities
were designed for two different purposes.  Template folder was
intended to be a store for any number of template messages with the
full power of the mail composer available to maintain them (including
preset header fields and HTML formatting).  Creating a new message
from one of these is just a single menu item.

Custom templates were intended to allow customisation of the formats
used for the built-in operations - new message and the various sorts
of reply/forward.

But they could be combined - see next.

> 2.
> Template folder has two good things - it makes easier to share and preview
> of templates. I have an idea: what about making this folder completely
> virtual presentation of Custom templates? Not real folder but
> presentation how those templates look in their real environment. This
> would fix the worst thing which now exists: doubling of features.

That would be a very good idea.  The template folder could support the
same insertion codes currently available in custom templates; the
standard functions could simply take a special message from that
folder.  Combined with an identity-specific template folder (something
which is on my list of things to do), that would provide all of the
existing functions in a consistent view.

> 3.
> Second good thing with templates folder: I don't see how to create new
> message using Custom template, I can reply, reply to all but can not
> choose new message from Custom templates.

There doesn't seem to be an option to create a new custom template at
the moment, maybe it is planned for the future?

> 4.
> One thing missing (for me): shortcuts for templates. At the moment to
> reply using Custom templates you have to navigate through deeply nested
> context menus.

Not sure what you mean here: the only operations that use the custom
templates are the existing ones (new, reply...), there is no means of
selecting a custom template explicitly, unless I've missed it.

> 5.
> Non-compatible dictionary: In Templates tab you have: New message,
> Reply, Reply-to-all, Forward. In Custom templates there are: Universal,
> Reply, Reply-to-all, Forward.
>
> 6.
> Not really sure two tabs (Templates, Custom templates) are really
> necessary. Just put custom templates with name Default into current
> "Custom templates".

These have now been fixed; all of the GUI is consistent.

> I would love to see more auto system with rules:
>
> If header X contains 'asdf' use template A.
> If list is in folder 'qwer' use template B.
> If original list is from 'ABC' [integration with KAddressbook] use
> template C.
>
> etc., etc.

This sounds like something which would be integrated with filtering.

> 7.
> Number of places where templates are defined. At the moment there are
> 3+(1*x) such places! Templates folder, Templates tab in configuration
> center, Custom templates tab in configuration center, multiple
> folder Properties.
>
> It could be reduced for example:
>
> a. Templates folder is gone with fixing problem of templates for new
>    messages.
> b. Templates and Custom templates tabs are integrated.
> c. In folder Properties user is not editing templates themselves but
>    choosing from templates available from global Templates configuration
>    place.

This is true, although there are really only two different facilites
here: the templates folder, and all the rest are the same custom
templates options applying to various places.

Maybe, if the two facilities are intended to remain separate and to
complement each other, the terminology could be changed to make the
difference clear.  Perhaps the templates folder could be named
"Message templates", and the custom templates could be renamed "Custom
formats", or something similar?

Hope this helps... Regards, Jonathan

--
Jonathan Marten                         http://www.keelhaul.demon.co.uk