List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: annotation feature
From:       Martin Konold <konold () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       2000-03-19 17:32:37

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Simon Hausmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently hacking an annotation feature in the directory metaview
> which lets you add editable annotations to directories and files.
>
> But I'm running into a problem :)
>
> What I wonder about is: Should it be fully network transparent or should
> we enable it only for local items?
>
> The disadvantage when making it net aware is that it creates additional
> traffic (a stat() and a get() for each directory) .
> (think of browsing a slow ftp server....
>
> Opinions?

Hmm, what about using an extra hirarchy in the users $HOME dir. This then
also allows to make annotations to directories which are read only. This
extra hirarchy can of course be shared with .xvpics like previews which in
additon can also handle non pivture previews like text etc.

Yours,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Stauffenbergstr. 107, 72074 Tuebingen, Germany  //
KDE:  The most advanced GUI for a reliable OS.