List:       kdevelop-devel
Subject:    Re: On Memory consumption of KDevelop-PG
From:       Niko Sams <niko.sams () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-19 10:56:18

Hi,

Imho Memory usage during parsing isn't our main issue, especially as
it get's freed correctly.

The main performance issue for Php is code completion, that defenitely
needs improvements.
It takes 3-5 secs to show up the completion list for me. Imho we
should speed up that first - I don't
care that much about parsing performance - it's done in background anyway.

> - finally, maybe the hardest part: Can't we compress the AST _while building
> it_, i.e. can we somehow drop all these useless logicalAExpression ->
> logicalBExpression -> logicalCExpression -> ... ? Imo we should at least make
> that one node and work with members (i.e.: logicalExpression->type ==
> LOGICAL_XOR) and than a ptr to either a "real" (not-logical) expression or to
> a nested logical expression... Maybe that could save us some more MB...
This part of the parser really sucks. It uses a lot of memory and the
visitor needs
to visit a lot of nodes to parse an expression.
However I have no idea how it could be improved.

Niko