List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: why has KDE WWW development gone private?
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-1?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-02-04 13:04:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 04 February 2006 11:46, Nicolas Ternisien wrote:
> As I said previously, if this team do not plan to break everything
> already built around KDE family sites, there is no problem, even if
> the style used is awful, we just need to  be sure every KDE sites use
> it.

At this moment this is all far too much away. We have no idea of what the main
site (www.kde.org) will be, yet. Breaking other sites (in fact, breaking
anything) is very far away.

Of course, the pipe dream of everybody is to consolidate all KDE web presence
into one look, one framework, that's far future and long-term thinking. My
view on that process would be to first have www.kde.org revamped, and then
beginning to integrate children sites (and I think this is what your afraid
of). l10n.kde.org has greatly improved and is actually one of the best
functioning parts (including maintainance) of the whole KDE webpresence, so
it's unlikely that this will be among the first to change. See, it's a whole
process, we're trying to build a stable base (CMS, probably, usable design, a
whole concept) and then work towards consolidation, probably beginning with
parts that have grave problems.

So anything beyond www.kde.org is future yet. Please rest assured that no one
will dictate to change l10n or other well-maintained sites in the foreseeable
future to be changed from the ground up. First, dictating won't work anyway,
and second, there's an awful lot to do, other than changing winning teams.
--
sebas