List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Problems with starting KDE on Slackware 3.4
From:       "Raymond E. Rogers" <rerogers () gte ! net>
Date:       1998-05-30 12:11:18

Hi Eric
	I think the answer to your question is; look in .xinitrc in the home
directory of the user that will start it.  Near the bottom will be the
window manager command: twm, olvwm, etc...
Comment out the old manager and insert "startkde".  Examine the file and
remove other items you think might conflict.  Don't worry, I don't think
anything will actually crash it; so you can always go back later.  The
actual starting is with "startx" ( after you save the new .xinitrc ).
There is a problem though; you should start it with 16 bits of color.
"startx -- -bpp 16".  You can put this in a batch file like I did ( but
be aware that the batch file must be invoked with the "." option:
". X.start"
or find XF86Config and alter it so the 16 bit mode is default.  Somebody
in a previous messages on this list mentioned the really correct way to
do that but I don't remember what it was ( I already had the batch file
and am lazy).  As I have mentioned on other groups; the developers
should have a setup checker that goes around and examines everything in
site ( sorry about the pun (: ) and tells the user those things he needs
to do or change.  I think the ./configure files are a good example of
this and I think the KDE configure is an example for others to follow.
	I would like congratulate the KDE team.  I just installed version 4 and
the compile went flawlessly!!  Three cheers for the gang:)  I would buy
them beers all night:)
	I do think that qt 1.33 has goofed up my X windows display a little but
I haven't proved it yet ( the problem appeared with KDE-2 after I
installed 1.33 as I recall).  But KDE-4 itself works great:)

Enjoy
Ray