List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: KDE documentation
From:       Kevin Forge <forgeltd () usa ! net>
Date:       1998-03-31 23:31:52

Rich Ralph wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am quite new to Linux and new to KDE, (which I got running yesterday) and
> I'd like very much to get involved with editing & writing the KDE
> documentation.  While I was able to get KDE going, I think the
> documentation needs some work.  I'd like to know who to contact to lend a
> helping hand.  I am not a programmer, but write very well, and would like
> to help out.

The Guys in charge of the KDEDOC project will probably drop you a line

> Also, could someone please tell me if the Gnome apps will run under KDE, or
> is the Gnome Project trying to develop their own desktop?  Their
> documentation is scant, and it's unclear what their "end-product" will be?
> I would experiment myself, but I'm afraid of screwing up my system and KDE
> - both of which are quite stable.  Forgive me if this is not the place to
> ask, but I was just curious about what the Gnome Project is trying to
> accomplish?

First a little Background.  Gnome, RedHat, FsF, Debian and several other
Heavyweights in the free software community simply do not like the
License
on the QT Libs.  There are real and practical reasons for this but I
won't
discus them now.  The simple fact is that they won't be touching KDE any
time soon and as such must write an alternative.
Yes GNOME apps will run on a KDE desktop ( and fit right in too ).  This
is evidenced by the fact that the almighty GIMP works flawlessly on my
KDE system.  Yes GNOME will do there own Desktop and hopefully it will
NOT look like KDE.  It doesn't have to be better just different.  What
is a little bit less simple is getting KDE apps to run on a GNOME
desktop ( or FVWM and anything else for that matter ).  You must have
KFM running to run some KDE apps.

--
"Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."