List:       kde-user
Subject:    Help a newbie
From:       "M.K." <r23 () az ! com>
Date:       1997-11-30 18:38:41

Hello, I am new to this list and this is my first posting.
I am very new to linux and to KDE. I have Debian linux installed and have installed
the .deb kde beta 2 packages and the newest qt (although I cannot find any qt \
directory anywhere) After many hours, I got kde up and running. I had to edit my \
startkde file to get it to run. I must have something setup wrong. 2 problems.

1) I cannot get any of the programs on my taskbar menu to start, but if I start them \
from the shell or create a link they  work. Something must be wrong here.

2) Backspace  and Delete keys do not work.

Here are many of my files you may need to see in order to help me. I also ran \
'ldconfig -v' Please remember I am very new to linux and kde in your answers. Thanks.

M. Kornelis
r23@az.com

#My /etc/ld.so.conf
/usr/local/lib
/usr/lib/libc5-compat
/lib/libc5-compat
/usr/X11R6/lib
/opt/kde/lib

#My /etc/profile
# /etc/profile: system-wide .profile file for bash(1).

PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/opt/kde/bin:/usr/sbin ."
PS1="\\$ "

export PATH PS1
export KDEDIR=/opt/kde/bin

ulimit -c unlimited
umask 022
mount -t msdos /dev/hdb2 /dos
mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /cdrom

#My .profile
# ~/.bash_profile: executed by bash(1) for login shells.

PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11"
PS1="\\h\\$ "

export PATH PS1

KDEDIR="/opt/kde"
PATH="$PATH:/opt/kde"
export KDEDIR

mesg n

umask 022

->My startkde file *Notice the changes I had to make to get kde to even start*
#!/bin/sh

DUMMY=${KDEDIR:?"KDEDIR is not set!"}

/opt/kde/bin/kaudioserver &
/opt/kde/bin/kfm &