List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Can we* prettyplease do something about the KUrlNavigator?
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2009-06-22 21:07:36

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Monday 22 June 2009 19:18:51 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>
>>> GTK is also self-explanatory, when I first saw it I had no
>>> hesitation to use it, no confusion, no questions, etc. I could
>>> use it right away.
>> I don't recall any confusion over KDE's navigator (or misclicks,
>> for that matter), but I've no evidence that I'm "typical".
>
> A little honesty required here :-D -- how did you found out that blank
> space is not static but active element? You couldn't do this by
> looking?

Honestly? I don't remember ;-). Sorry.

> In GTK I click on a and then on e.

...but you have to wade through the folder list in the main pane to do
so. I don't find that nearly as convenient as the KDE equivalent. I
might as well just type it :-).

> For me it is better, because I don't have "pause effect" with it
> (where should I click?).

Not sure what to say to that, other than your experience differs from
mine. Which is more common? Do we know? (Honest question; I don't
remember seeing any hard data on this thread. Did I miss it? Do we have
any? If not, does someone here have the resources to get some?)

>> Personally I don't see an advantage to it over just an edit box
>> with an integrated 'go up a level' button. I would *much* rather be
>> able to globally replace it with just an edit box.
>
> With edit box you cannot move up fast in easy way [...]

If ctrl-arrows don't stop on /, that should be fixed. And personally, I
vote for a built-in 'go up' button, at least in edit mode.

> This mode is great aid from a11y POV.

There is a reason I said "personally" in the above. As in, YMMV :-).

(If you ask me, though, KDE is better here - a11y-wise - with ability to
jump around folders w/o having to use the main pane. If we had a final
'>' it would be even better.)

> with edit box you can edit path, but you can edit it incorrectly. No
> such thing with breadcrumb.

True, but you also can't type where you want to go ;-). Again, YMMV. I
am a decent typist and usually know where I want to go.

> So it is path representation with fast navigation (faster than edit)

I dispute that generalization. I can assure you, I can get from
/home/matthew/art/mypics/incoming to /usr/local/share/wallpaper faster
by typing than I can by clicking. Obviously YMMV, but you didn't specify
"in some instances" in the above ;-).

> I would like to see only two things:
> a) switch mode button all the time

+1 :-).

> b) explicit buttons (as we already said, it could be implemented via
> flat buttons, which would be configured globally in KDE).

Personally I love the current look. I vote for keeping that as the
"flat" look. So long as I can keep that, I agree with making 'real
buttons' possible.

> c) no "smart" switching (by clicking in between, or in empty space)

I'd like to keep this, the empty space is a much bigger click target.

What are your feelings about ctrl+click to switch to edit with
pre-positioned caret?

--
Matthew
"Have you tried that new mixed drink, 'GDR'"?