List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: bikeshedding by a list veteran
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-18 0:11:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 18 March 2006 12:07, Janne Ojaniemi wrote:
> But I'm not talking about "usability reports" (like the ones made by
> openusability). Rather, I'm talking about discussions about "How could
> we make this thing here easier to use?" And what I quite specificly
> said is that those discussions have usually been happening OUTSIDE this
> list (like in kde-artists), with the end-results being posted in some
> mailinglist (not necessarily this one).

Like said by Aaron earlier; those kind of discussions rarely (if ever)
lead to a result that will end up to have any effect on code. Thats what
we have seen in the past.  I understand it feels good to talk about an
idea and have others join in; but realistically thats just for you and
has in the past done nothing for KDE.

What this thread tried to say is simple; if you want to help KDE in the
usability arena please avoid blurting out ideas and 'this thing is bad'
kind of observations. Instead try to learn about usability from books and
online data. Then you can give a report or suggestion that is not vague
and will be taken seriously.  Otherwise you just end up being one voice
in the crowd which have a very very good change of being ignored.

Cheers!
--
Thomas Zander