List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Review of SuSE Linux Professional 9.0 and so also KDE
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () virgilio ! it>
Date:       2004-03-20 10:06:34

On Saturday 20 March 2004 06:09, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:

> >Yes, IMO SuSE is the bad guy here because they include such old software
> > in there distribution :)

The problem is that acroread is often the only solution. But I suspect you
know that. :)

> The KDE PDF viewers are subpar. They are buggy and have a difficult
> interface (can't scroll across pages, and when page-down is hit, it is at
> the same point on the next page, so when you scroll down one page, then hit
> page down, you need to scroll up the next page to start reading it).

Well, you can use the space bar to paginate to advance to the next
section instead of the page down key.

The problem with kde viewers is that both KGhostview and KPDF have problem
with some of the PDF out there. KPDF page rendering is also awful, it never
manages to select the right font, at least fo me. And KGhostview relies on
ghostscript, so it can handle only what ghostscript can handle. By the way,
I think there is a new GPL Ghostscript out there, has it improved with PDFs?

> Is there some reason that KDE can't come with a standard font set? If KDE
> could have its own, specific font which would always be ready on install,
> that would be great. Also, the Bitstream ones are free as in everything, so
> KDE could come with those by default.

Having our own fonts would mean having some good fonts donated to KDE.

I think we could depend on the Ghostscript fonts and on the Vera series
being available. We could package them with KDE, but on the other hand,
the fonts are already shipped with distribution, or available for
download.

--
Luciano Montanaro //
                \X/ mikelima@virgilio.it