List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror security settings
From:       David Hugh-Jones <hughjonesd () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-06-30 8:56:15

On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 02:48, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> On Sunday 29 June 2003 07:17, Henrique Pinto wrote:
> > This looks good... Does anyone dislike it?
>
> question: what are the most common options people set when using those control
> panels?
>
> note that this isn't "what do most people set?" (though that's a valid
> question in its own right), but rather "what is the most common action(s)
> taken when this panel is visited".

That's a very good point. However, in this specific case: what
proportion of the potential user base actually manage individual cookies
in this way? For ordinary computer users, it's an incredibly advanced
thing to do. In fact: I suggest that the answer to your question is
_still_ "enable/disable cookies" and "ask before accepting" - because
90% of users would never do anything else!

That's a slight exaggeration. 90% of users would never even open the
settings dialog. Most of my friends don't even know how to set their
start page in IE.

On the other hand, selecting the advanced options like "accept all
session cookies" might be worth having in the front page. (We ought to
replace "session" with some better wording btw. "session" is computer
jargon. Maybe "temporary".)

The other point, of course, is that merely having to click one more time
is not a big deal, so long as the window opens promptly :-) In fact, if
you have fewer sections on the left hand side, then it might become
faster to access the advanced sections:

click on section, then click on advanced button

vs.

scroll down to find section, then click on it

Dave