List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: Limiting who can create v${NUMBER}.${NUMBER}.${NUMBER} tags in KDE Applications git repos
From:       Christian Mollekopf <chrigi_1 () fastmail ! fm>
Date:       2018-06-25 11:22:19

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018, at 10:56 AM, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
> Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 6:57 PM, Rolf Eike Beer
> > <kde@opensource.sf-tec.de> wrote:

> > > This sounds sane to me. Simply require those tags to be signed by
> > > $key_in_known_good_list.
> >
> > Given the recent security issues surrounding interaction with GPG done
> > by external programs, I would rather not perform key verification.
>
> Which one do you mean? The EFFfail one, that was about tricking mail
> clients into data exfiltration (which is not relevant here)? The one
> where the embedded filename was not properly sanitized (CVE-2018-12020)
> and every distro should already have a patch deployed? Or the side
> channel attacks to recover the private key that is not on the git
> machine at all?
>
> Sorry, but not doing GnuPG is always the worse option.

Having looked at the EFAIL vulnerability in particular I agree I see no reason to not \
do key verification. Any processing in principle has potential for vulnerabilities, \
but verifying a signature with a public key is IMO not any more dangerous than any \
other arbitrary operation or script.

Cheers,
Christian