List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: KDE Frameworks Release Cycle
From:       Raymond Wooninck <tittiatcoke () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-04-30 16:19:57

On Wednesday 30 April 2014 17:24:42 =C0lex Fiestas wrote:
> This is a problem that already exists, for example in bluedevil I have had
> enormous problems because distros would have either an ancient version or=
> git snapshot.

I was already waiting for this story to re-appear again. =

> Current situation is:
> Opensuse 13.1 has a BlueZ5 and they don't ship with bluedevil because at =
the
> time it was not ported. Now I work only on bluedevil2 (which works on
> bluez5) but their bluez version is ancient (5.8 while upstream is 5.18) so
> there are many problems who's root is the BlueZ version.
> Because of this I waste enormous amount of time just saying "sorry this i=
s a
> downstream problem" which is a sucky message to send to users.

It seems that you really have a big issue with openSUSE because of bluedevi=
l.  =

At the moment that the Gnome team indicated that they didn't had any choice =

than to ship Bluez5 (as that the Gnome version only would support Bluez5), =
I =

contacted you with the question if Bluedevil would support Bluez5. You =

indicated that you were working on the Fedora schedule and that was the onl=
y =

schedule that was applicable for you. As that Bluez4 and Bluez5 can not be =
co-
installed we had to make a choice. Either to ship whatever we had (which wa=
s a =

git snapshot) or to destroy the Gnome desktop.  Strangely enough at this =

moment there is still no other release than the 2.0-RC1 which was released =

after the release of Fedora20. =

> So with frameworks I think we can compromise with something like "last 5
> releases" and turn off "auto reporting" for anything older than that (this
> is just an example).

So in other words, this means that you are supporting only the last x month=
s. =

And after that distributions are again on their own. =

Let's be frank here. You already decided on the way that the Frameworks =

release cycle will look like and given the responses you are not open to =

anything else. So I guess we should just stop the discussion here and we wi=
ll =

see what is going to happen. At least we know where we all stand. =