List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: Release Team BoF Summary
From:       Aurélien_Gâteau <agateau () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-07-17 12:11:53

Le lundi 16 juillet 2012 11:47:40 info@michael-jansen.biz a =E9crit :
> Am 2012-07-16 10:14, schrieb Aur=E9lien G=E2teau:
> > Le dimanche 15 juillet 2012 16:39:54 Michael Jansen a =E9crit :
> >> Let us postpone this until i have the script ready. I think the
> >> discussion
> >> is needed but currently a bit difficult because it is all really
> >> theoritcal
> >> now.
> > =

> > It is all very theoritical because people took a simple and pragmatic
> > proposal
> > (do not change any macro, just use different values: 7x for alpha, 8x
> > for beta
> > and 9x for rc) and overengineered it.
> > =

> > I am not sure what we are trying to solve there, it feels like an
> > overkill.
> =

> I do not like maskerading pre releases as stable version. Version
> numbers have a
> clear semantic meaning. And KDE currently breaks that.

I see what you mean, but this sounds like an academic problem. I never met =

someone who confused our unstable version numbers with stable versions. Of =

course, you may have different experiences.

> The other why.
> =

> If i succeed in scripting the complete release process i would like to
> setup weekly
> snapshots. Because i consider them the "continuus integration" of the
> release
> process.
> =

> Please tell me how those fit into the current scheme and we consider
> it.

I don't see how to avoid adding a forth component to the version number to =

achieve this. I would imagine something like 4.x.y.yyyymmdd. So a snapshot =
of =

4.9.0rc2 done this week would be 4.8.92.20120716.
To ensure one knows which code the snapshot refers to, either repositories =

would have to be tagged with the snapshot version number, or we would have =
to =

append the first 8 chars of the commit-id to the (already quite long) versi=
on =

number.

Aur=E9lien