List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Promo Material Organization
From:       Carl Symons <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-10-13 15:07:12

On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 12:45:06 PM Andreas Cord-Landwehr wrote:
> On Sunday 04 October 2015 16:15:04 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > On Sunday 04 October 2015 10:52:30 Andreas Cord-Landwehr wrote:
> > > Hi, currently I have some promo material lying around (print ready PDF
> > > files, editable sources), that should be at some common public place.
>
> Best,
>
> > > in an organized form such that all files for a specific occasion are
> > > grouped together.
> > >
> > > Do we have such a common place? The promo wiki pages directly come to my
> > > mind, yet for file organization wikis are not really optimal. On the
> > > other
> > > hand, there is share.kde.org. Is it possible (or maybe already created?)

> > > have a shared promo group folder there?
> >
> > share.kde.org is certainly the best place for files.
> > The VDG has a shared folder where we also put promo material we create. We
>
> can
>
> > either use this for all promo stuff (this would only require the remaining
> > people who may want to upload files there to be added to the VDG on
>
> Identity)
>
> > or you could create a separate shared folder specifically for promo
> > things.
> >
> > Using the folder within the VDG folder makes most sense to me, since much
> > of our promo material comes from the VDG anyway, so probably it would be
> > less work to add the additional promo people to the VDG than adding the
> > VDG
> people
>
> > doing promo stuff to a promo group.
>
> Hi, if there are no further comments or opposition to this proposal during
> the next 7 days, I will start to ask people how to make it happen. The
> current proposal is: promo material should be stored in a VDG
> promo-subfolder on share.kde.org.
>
> What I see as important:
> - write/delete powers only for promo people (since this is no
> version-control system we must take care not to accidentally delete
> content)
> - read-capabilities for everyone, to let new people discover what is there
> - final promo material should be stored alongside source material to make
> editing as simple as possible
>
> Cheers,
> Andreas

I support this.

I have a bunch of promotional material on my local machine. Without a shared
repository, it's difficult to know what's available.

What distinguishes "promo people" who would have read/write/delete privileges?
Who are these people?

One additional recommendation...information about applications that generated
the source material.

Almost everything I do ends up in Scribus. I'm currently using Scribus 1.5.1,
which is compatible with 1.5, but which is not backwards compatible with
earlier Scribus versions. Documents prepared with earlier versions can
generally be opened by later versions...not always the case though.

Versions 1.5 and 1.5.1 are not recommended for production environment...I like
the Qt 5 environment and save a lot.

Scribus is the promo material app that is most prone to this obstacle. I
haven't seen it with Inkscape or ODF documents.

Thanks for making this happen Andreas.

Carl