List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] What can we learn from Krita's Kickstarter?
From:       Jens Reuterberg <jens () ohyran ! se>
Date:       2015-05-05 7:49:25

I think this has less to do with the forming of the Kickstarter (even though
its fine) and more with, as Boud said, the reach outside of KDE and Open
Source communities and what Krita has created outside of that specific
Kickstarter.

That in itself is something that we need to think about - since communication
and success always tends to be explained with something overly simplistic and
to be quite honest, often in rather bitter tones ("Why did THEY get x thousand
euros and we nothing? Must be the way they did the video!"). Where in fact
here, as so often is the case - Krita has earned that money by breeding trust
with its users (full disclosure, Krita was what brought me to Open Source).

I think we need to consider, first and foremost, what it is we're selling.

Is the product something that is viable on the market? Does it bring something
new, something better? How do we PROVE its better/new/needed? I don't think
looking at stretch goals and video is the catch-all of this but rather at the
thing itself, how it has been presented in the past, what the actual story is.

One of the great downsides of Open Source is its... often awkwardness when it
comes to marketing, communication, design and promo - all things often
considered to be after thoughts, the last lick of paint on a finished product.
And then invariably comes the part where they throw their hands in the air
going "Why oh why didn't the promo work?" or "Why does the design look so
scattered?"
Kritas great strength is the fact that its comparatively old, has gone through
many different iterations, have had an open line of contact with its users and
built a better and better product through this form of communication and the
trust its users have in its product. I really think we should look at this
Kickstarter and see it as the tip of a wave that was a long time coming. That
has had years and years of work behind it - instead of delving into the
specifics of the video.

/me will also scrounge up some more cash to send Krita's way. My pitiful 50
euro feels awkward now.

/Jens