List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Article about Baloo
From:       Carl Symons <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-02-18 16:47:32

On 02/18/2014 07:50 AM, Markus Slopianka wrote:
> Considering that once upon a time it was agreed that it's better to avoid
> jargon towards the end user, no user-visible parts should be connected to=
 the
> name anyway.
> Or has the policy changed?
>
> Markus

In principle the policy makes sense.

In practice, it's not so clear. A Google search for "KDE Nepomuk" yields =

over 500,000 entries. And "slashdot nepomuk" shows over 350,000 results. =

Nepomuk is visible to users. It's gotten plenty of press and exposure in =

various forums.

Is that policy available somewhere to look at?

Dot stories are not just for users. The Dot audience is broad and =

diverse. Many uberTechies will be interested; KDE users are more =

technically inclined than the general public. And it's not like users =

are necessarily ignorant of Nepomuk..."Configure Desktop" or "System =

Settings" have an entry for Desktop Search. That section leads to =

several entries that refer to Nepomuk.

Key parts of the story are:
KDE is innovative.
KDE takes reasonable risks and keeps at things in the interest of =

performance and reliability.
KDE is a community with highly skilled continuity from project =

maintainer to project maintainer. NIH is not practiced here.