List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Article about Baloo
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-02-18 14:51:50

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 14:20:57 Stuart Jarvis wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 February 2014 14:54:04 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > On Tuesday 18 February 2014 14:30:13 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> This turn of phrase ("went back on") bothers me a little - to be blunt, \
> it seems unfair.

Lets not quibble on semantics. When the name first surface, after \
explaining  the challenges this raised, I was told that Baloo would not be \
a publicly  visible name and would not compete with Nepomuk as such. This \
changed at some  point. You may use whatever words you feel comfortable \
with for that.

> Yep, we worked to make 'Nepomuk' somewhat invisible. Baloo should be no \
> more visible to the user.

Nepomuk undeniably has visibility. Keeping continuity in that would have \
made  a number of things rather more simple going forward.

> In this particular case, there are some major things changing - it's a \
> big switch that might leave some applications currently needing Nepomuk. \
> I'm not

Given that Nepomuk is being left behind by the developers who were working \
on  it, this seems inadvisable. As yet another cost in the renaming \
exercise, we  now have developers who will more likely feel the need to \
spend time examining  the change and whether to adopt or not rather than \
simply accepting it as the  next step in this technology's life cycle.

> sure it can be done completely unannounced, with no public change (in
> name/terminology).

It should be announced; it's the change in naming and terminology that is \
at  issue.

> It could be done perhaps with a Nepomuk v1 versus
> Nepomuk v2 kind of distinction (hey, maybe that would have been better). \

That's actually what I suggested previously.

> too think it's late for that now - particularly as the name Baloo is out
> there (from use on the mailing list, apparently) - but I'm willing to be
> convinced.

I'm not sure it is too late; Baloo could be positioned as the ‘backend' \
for  Nepomuk storage, in much the same way as strigi was replaced with a \
Nepomuk- specific solution, and Nepomuk 2 could be ‘born'.

If it is deemed "too late", then we can at least learn from this so that in \
 future things are handled differently.

--
Aaron J. Seigo