List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] 4.12 release: we need your help!!!
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jos () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2013-12-07 21:03:05

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 7:26 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org> wrote:
> El Dijous, 5 de desembre de 2013, a les 15:08:35, Jos Poortvliet va escriure:
> > So, after some conversation on IRC and writing/editing, the text is on
> > https://notes.kde.org/p/release_4.12
> > it has three sections:
> > * the dot article (written by unormal, edited by me)
> > * the text for http://kde.org/announcements/4.12 - mix of the dot
> > article and some text by me
> > * the text for http://kde.org/announcements/4.11/applications.php -
> > simply the list made by Mario turned into text
>

> Some comments:
> * We are *not* releasing kde-workspace so i think that:
> - "The upgrades in version numbers for the Workspaces and Platform are
> merely for the convenience of packaging." should be "The upgrades in version
> numbers for the Platform are merely for the convenience of packaging."

Ok, didn't know that. For my information, why do we release upgraded
numbers of the Platform but not for Workspaces?

> - "All bug fixes and minor features developed since the release of Plasma
> Workspaces, Applications and Platform 4.11 have been included." should not be
> there

Ok, so that goes.

> - The "Plasma Workspaces Continue Bugfixing" section should not be there

Idem.

> * "KDE Platform 4.12 Becomes More Stable" is against the idea that the
> kdelibs 4.11 == 4.12 because how can it become more stable if it's the same
> thing with just a new version number? Note that I can confirm that KDE/4.12
> and KDE/4.11 are not exactly the same, since git diff shows a few differences,
> so not sure how to articulate this kdelibs being frozen but not really :D

It did get about 20 bugfixes, since 4.11.0, although I guess they have
been rolled into 4.11.x too. And we did this for 4.11 and 4.10 etc
too, talking about it while it was frozen... Yeah, this has been a bit
inconsistent, and now it will get more inconsistent with the
workspaces not going to a new number unlike the Platform. I guess we
should have thought about this at some point...

I thought the most consistent thing would be to continue with the
platform as we have (which is, upgrading the release number and to
talk about its bugfixes and minor features, if any, while pointing out
that it's frozen) and do the same thing for the Workspaces -
numbering-up and talking about it but no separate page.

But as we don't number up the Workspaces (?) that makes it a bit
complicated. Should we skip talking about it altogether, or mention
its bugfixes went into the minor releases? Perhaps even explain why we
treat the platform different from the workspaces?

> The rest seems good, maybe the list of app improvements a little too long but
> i guess it's good we put more people into the spotlight :-)

Ah, as long as the announcement on the dot/mail isn't too long, it
doesn't matter that we HAVE more detail for those interested...

/J