List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Secure boot
From:       Gary Greene <greeneg () tolharadys ! net>
Date:       2011-10-21 7:00:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Oct 20, 2011, at 6:56 AM, Carl Symons wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 6:09 AM, Agustin <toscalix@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've received the last few days several mails related with Microsoft strategy to \
> > deliver secure boot implemented in a way that adds restrictions for installing \
> > free software based distros.
> > Is this being discussed in Kde? Where?
> >
> > Sent from a mobile phone
> >
> > Saludos
> >
> > Agustín Benito Bethencourt
> > Gerente@asolif.es
> >

> I've seen no KDE discussion about this issue. It has shown up elsewhere though.
>
> Here's an explanation along with a way to be heard.
> http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/
> There's a link at the bottom of that page to sign a statement.
>
> Despite Microsoft's claim to the contrary, this is likely to have the
> effect of strengthening their near-monopoly position. (They are
> pointing to hardware manufacturers as the implementers.) Microsoft
> have stepped over the boundaries of U.S. law related to anti-trust
> laws on many occasions. They have abused their monopoly position.
> Microsoft's strategy on this technology is suspect. The U.S. legal
> system _may_ prohibit their strategy. But it's more likely that
> nothing will happen, as Microsoft has repeatedly shown an inclination
> to buy their way out of these legal dilemmas. And if the U.S.
> Department of Justice is involved, it usually takes years to reach a
> conclusion.
>
> It's important that the free and open source software community
> (outside the U.S. especially) be heard on this issue. Look at your PC,
> laptop, tablet...if it's from a U.S. manufacturer then there's a good
> chance that your next one won't run KDE.
>
> I don't know if KDE should take an official position...perhaps
> something could be put together in consultation with FSFE.
>
> Carl

The FSF, EFF, and, yes Google, should be brought into this if there is any leaning on \
organizations/governments. Why Google? Simple, they a) have capital, b) have a strong \
investment in allowing Linux to run on their workstations as one of the larger \
install bases for corporate use of Linux (Goobuntu won't work if the UEFI denies it's \
boot), and they've shown they don't really like MS all that much in the first place.

Should KDE get involved in this in some way? IMO, yes. If we don't, we risk the \
market share of the Linux desktop/tablet/portable shrinking as MS will for the sake \
of profit, abuse this loophole to secure their dominance for a long time to come.

Personally, I like the design of secure boot, however, I agree that there must be a \
way for research, hobby, and alternative solutions to the current status-quo to \
install on machines or innovation will stagnate badly on all fronts in computing.

["signature.asc" (signature.asc)]