List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo]
From:       Carl Symons <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-03-13 20:55:47

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:11:41 -0800
> From: "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo@kde.org>
> Subject: [kde-promo] thoughts on
> http://community.kde.org/Promo/Distribution_Communication
> To: kde-promo@kde.org
>
> hi ...
>
> after reading ade's blog about this topic, i visited the wiki page in the
> subject line of this email and was struck by two things:
>
> a) it recommends using "Plasma Desktop" without "KDE" attached; imho we should
> retain the value in the "KDE" brand an recommend "KDE Plasma Desktop"
>
> b) all the examples list GNOME first in the listing. i'd like to see us mix it
> up a bit so that KDE comes first in the list 2 out of the 3 times. it's our
> job to show how we'd like to see it done, after all.
>
> with the appropriate people's blessings i will edit the wiki page to reflect
> the above.
>
> --
> Aaron J. Seigo

> Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:57:28 +0000
> From: "Jos Poortvliet" <jospoortvliet@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [kde-promo] thoughts on
> http://community.kde.org/Promo/Distribution_Communication
> To: "KDE Promo" <kde-promo@kde.org>
>
> I bless you my child.
> The KDE or not to KDE can be a tad complicated at times, i myself would love to \
> hear what branding theory has to say on this one. The official name is KDE Plasma \
> Desktop Workspace - but everyone will tell ya it is too long. But how many words IS \
> acceptable? 3? 2? My gut (not the most dependable bodypart, I know) tells me we \
> should aim for 2. But as you propose, i'd rathed add the KDE brand. And KDE plasme \
> just isnt enough with netbook and future mobile/mediacenter etc. My usual way of \
> handling dilemmas like this is keeping it at whatever the original writer wrote, \
> or, if it seems important enough, to discuss it. And in this case, bless you to \
> change it :-) The best solution would probably be to look it up in a book but who \
>                 likes reading? Hehe...
> --

It is likely that the KDE Rebranding has yet to sink in for most
people. My experience with getting messages to stick is roughly...when
the message creator is sick of hearing it, it is just penetrating the
target consciousness.

Perhaps "KDE Plasma Desktop Workspace" is too long, but probably only
for people who have said it a few times and who understand the
distinctions inherent in each of the terms. When I made the KDE-SC-4.4
presentation to the local LUG, there was conversation about the
significance of each of the four words. "KDE" and "Workspace" mean
"more than a Desktop Environment". "Plasma" has a brand feeling. It is
the name of something that is extensive, and a call for further
creative and functional extensions through community participation.
"Desktop" raises the issue of Netbook, smart phones, other platforms
than Linux--in essence, the underlying forward looking nature of KDE.

IMO, the appropriate perspective is not what we think it sounds like,
but rather what effect it has on the intended audience. Based on my
experience, too many words may be a momentary irritant, yet it causes
a valuable interrupt in the short-hand fixed thinking that people have
of KDE, user interfaces as well as hardware/software interaction.

Carl