List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] LSB adopting GTK?
From:       Tim Jansen <ml () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2003-07-18 17:44:28

On Friday 18 July 2003 19:25, you wrote:
> > Why? I don't consider C++ or Qt a layer of the "GNU/Linux system" or LSB.
> > In fact the FSF discourages the use of C++. I'd rather see it as a layer
> > on top of it.
> That sounds so absurd, I don't even know where to begin.  I'll try
> though. What business does FSF have deciding which programming language
> people should use?  None!

The whole issue is about recommending and deciding for technology (and why
some people do not like C++ in the LSBs).

> Furthermore, if the FSF is truly about freedom
> and free software, they should encourage all languages equally.

That's certainly not the best way to get a consistent and easy to learn
system. The FSF/Gnu project does not care what you use for your own app, but
if you want to contribute to the GNU system they discourage the use of C++. I
think the LSB has been created with a similar mindset.

http://phil.freehackers.org/writings/tea-with-stallman.html

> > The problem is that Qt can not access many features of Linux, because it
> > is platform-independent. So you need to do ugly things like mixing Qt and
> > glibc.
> So GTK is not portable beyond Linux?

No, but it does not try to offer you functions for reading files or accessing
the network.

bye...