List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] FOSS Outlook PST convertors
From:       Gary Greene <greeneg () tolharadys ! net>
Date:       2010-05-26 2:09:37

On May 25, 2010, at 3:06 PM, Markus wrote:
> Am Dienstag 25 Mai 2010, 12:29:19 schrieb Brad Hards:
>
> > I think it would be a useful akonadi backend. I'm not sure who is going to
> > write the code though...
> >

> A full-blown Akonadi back-end would also require write support which -- I'd
> guess -- is more work. Just extending KMailCvt to merely read the PST files
> could be relatively easy, considering that the code already exists and PST
> file corruption is unlikely when only reading a file. ;-)

Especially since Outlook has PSTs _even_when_using_a_groupware_server_ (such as \
Exchange, etc. The OSTs and PSTs are both used extensively to speed up the slow \
communication paths between a properly configured (and easily loaded down) Exchange \
installation and for message and folder archiving.

Having the cache be convertible would be useful in the case where the user is \
migrating OFF Exchange (hosted or otherwise).