List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Ugly failure mode for kmail / kontact
From:       Brad Hards <bhards () bigpond ! net ! au>
Date:       2004-07-01 12:22:21

I noticed this problem with Kontact from CVS HEAD (with CVS HEAD kdelibs), but
I think it was probably common with kmail as standalone as well. I'm not
subscribed to kmail ML - please CC me or keep this on kde-pim please.

The problem, as I understand it, came about when I had a crash when sending.
No backtrace - sorry.

When I tried to restart Kontact, it claimed it couldn't create the inbox
directory. I then updated kdelibs and kdepim, and rebuilt. The new Kontact
(and kmail) still claimed it couldn't create inbox.

I'd already confirmed that Mail/ seemed to be OK. Eventually I moved
Mail/inbox out of the way, and it claimed that  sent-mail  couldn't be
created. I moved that out of the way, and it claimed trash couldn't be
created. I deleted the old trash.

Kontact then started OK, but most of my mail was missing. A bit of further
investigation showed that anything filed into mbox was there, but all the
maildirs weren't showing up. Eventually I twigged to manually recreate new/
and tmp/ within each maildir, and after restarting Kontact, things showed up
again.

I'm not sure how to describe the problem any further, but maybe it would be
possible to be more tolerant about how complete a maildir needs to be before
accepting it?

Brad