List:       kde-maemo
Subject:    [Kde-maemo] Welcome to KDE/Maemo
From:       bernhard () intevation ! de (Bernhard Reiter)
Date:       2009-10-26 20:39:45

Hi everybody,

On Thursday 22 October 2009, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> With Fremantle and the N900 almost out the door, it is time that we start a
> more coordinated effort within the KDE community to support Maemo as an
> official target system. In the past we had some scattered and not
> coordinated efforts, results got linked on techbase:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_on_Maemo

as wikis seems to be a good way to secure less volatile information,
I think we should use it for this purpose and make it the main hub.
(This mailinglist just got added by myself to the page and I've also
added a two mentions of N900, so that people will find it when searching
techbase.)

> I think we need to get all the people interested into making the KDE
> platform really usable on Maemo in order now. That's why this mailing list
> got created, and we now have to start discussing how to achieve this goal.
> To get there, it is likely that we want to consider Maemo as another system
> like we do for Solaris, Windows or Mac OS X. It is very close from our
> currently main target (Linux distros), but comes with its own specific
> ways, hence this idea of considering it like a different system altogether.
> Moreover, being the first time we really attempt at addressing a resource
> constrained system, our own platform will likely benefit from it.

I agree that bundling is good. We should think about if we bundle upon
Maemo 5/6 for N900 or where the overlap to other touch screen devices is.
The design of our applications will be good for Windows Mobile devices
as well as Symbian S60 - all platforms with larger touch screens
and running qt4. :)

> 1) Ensuring our platform is modular enough
> We need to be able to streamline our platform enough for such embedded
> devices. For that we need a clearer pictures of dependencies (in particular
> within kdelibs), and add flags within cmake to enable/disable the build of
> parts of our platform. Right now our dependency graph within the platform
> is rather complex, we'd need to simplify it.

Sebastian is right in that we need to consider build and runtime dependencies.
We can split out as many binary packages as we need at packaging time,
if that is useful.

Given the size issues we can right away attack the problem of how to identify
and ship only the needed graphics, icons and translations.

I am less interested in getting plasma to work, though of course it sound
cool, but what I would consider much nicer would be a killer application which
all Maemo users must have on their device.

Just my 0.02 (euro) cents,
Bernhard

Deputy Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: Kolab-Konsortium.com.
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, Osnabr?ck, DE; AG Osnabr?ck, HRB 18998
Gesch?ftsf?hrer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner