List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Icon improvements.
From:       Sean Pecor <sean () digitalspinner ! com>
Date:       2001-03-08 15:07:01

On Thursday 08 March 2001 09:36, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Unless there are extremely good metaphors for copy, paste and cut
> which are 100% intuitive, easy to scale and which  will convince everybody
> so much that it is predictable that all other existing GUIs will take the
> same symbols in the longterm, too (because they are so great), we won't
> change the existing standard-symbols.

I agree. I'd be the last person to fight for replacing them with something
worse :). Maybe there is no icon possible to convey exactly what "copy" or
"cut" is for text, graphics and so on. Maybe there is. Time will tell!

I'd still argue that they're not universally recognized by the vast majority
of computer users (read: newbies). There is a lot of buzz lately about
creating interfaces for the user, not for the techie, and rightly so. We need
to spend more time addressing the things we as technocrats take for granted.
Don't believe me? Sit your grandmother down in front of your computer and
watch her try to get something done.

Sean.