List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Icon improvements.
From:       Sean Pecor <sean () digitalspinner ! com>
Date:       2001-03-08 14:06:39

On Thursday 08 March 2001 01:24, Sergej Malinovski wrote:
> Ask yourself the question: Why would I chage something that works (if it
> does)?

I'm motivated by my perspective. I don't think the cut, copy and paste icons
as a whole are intuitive. But I understand the motivation to follow
Microsoft's lead so that the interface is immediately comfortable for
Microsoft converts. Though I've watched countless people using computer
interfaces and I've honestly yet to see one person use these three icons on
any platform. Generally, advanced users make selections with a mouse and then
use the keyboard to cut ("x"), copy ("c") and paste ("v"). The Klipper goes
one step further and immediately copies your selection in the clipboard - a
feature I love and use continually. Generally, beginners use menu options to
make selections (select -> paragraph, select -> layer) and copy or paste
(edit -> copy, edit -> paste). Intermediate users can do the same but some
will begin using the mouse to make selections.

Does anyone on this list use the cut, copy and paste icons regularly? If not,
is it because there are better ways or is it because the icons were never
very clear for you? I think there is room for improvement.

I think the "clipboard" concept is a strong idea. People can quickly identify
that a computer clipboard is a stack of things that the computer remembers
for you while the contents are in transition. But, for the novice computer
user, the copy and cut icons don't communicate any association to the
clipboard whatsoever. I think a clipboard image should underly the copy and
cut icons in a new way to better communicate their function.

Just my thoughts.

Sean.