List:       kde-look
Subject:    Icon improvements.
From:       Sean Pecor <sean () digitalspinner ! com>
Date:       2001-03-08 2:33:50

Greetings all,

Since it was mentioned somewhere the possibility to address icon improvements
(?) for KDE 2.2 I thought I'd introduce some thoughts of mine. Overall, I
think the icons are pretty great, yet I can't stop myself from offering some
suggestions.

My first suggestion is to play with the colors for the refresh icon:

http://extranet.digitalspinner.com/reload.png

I try gold-yellow here in place of the green, and I washed out the darkness
of the shrinking tips of both arrows in an attempt to make them look more
like they're fading away. To me, this is a more pleasing progression, from
the brown door on HOME to the gold.

Anyway, it's a thought.

Please ignore the trash can icon I use for STOP, it's a work in progress (I
want to put a radioactive symbol on it, for my own personal kicks). I always
thought the STOP icon in Windows was reverse intuitive. While driving, a stop
sign is universally understood, but it's stationary and it is something that
you don't control. Plus after you stop you start again where you left off
(something you can't do when you STOP in a browser).

When I stop a page or object from being displayed, it's normally because I
changed my mind or the transfer is taking too long. I want to KILL or ABORT
the transfer. A fun KILL icon woud be a circular face with X's for eyes. A
fun ABORT icon would be a big eraser. I'm creating a NUKE icon for my own
personal enjoyment :).

While I'm ranting, I'd like to get away from the COPY and PASTE icons that
are used. Sadly, I don't have a silver bullet suggestion :(. My first thought
is to use a nice camera icon for the COPY, and a nice roll of film to denote
PASTE? Or a polaroid picture.

Sean.